Adjunct Research Analyst - China
Company: Institute for Defense Analyses
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Provides technical, scientific, and analytical expertise in support
of IDA's work requiring independent and objective research, test,
study and analyses of national security issues and related national
challenges, particularly those requiring extraordinary scientific
and technical expertise. Supports IDA's role as a trusted and
decisive contributor to U.S. security and science and technology
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates intelligence community
issues based on provided parameters, guidelines, and/or
specifications of the project.
- Individually or as a member of a research team, prepares
reports documenting conclusions and/or findings; may present
findings of the final report to project sponsors and select
- May be assigned as project leader to one or more projects to
provide technical direction for project planning, requirements,
budgetary objectives, and assignment of responsibility and
- Works with other researchers and sponsors to identify,
prioritize, and communicate emergent issues for IDA, its sponsors,
and the national security community.
- Develops and sustains working relationships with sponsors to
ensure that opportunities for further support and collaboration are
- Maintain awareness of, and potentially contribute to,
cross-divisional intelligence-related projects in conjunction with
other IDA divisions. Mimimum Job Qualifications:
- Applicants must have a minimum of 10 years of progressively
responsible experience in Defense or National Intelligence with a
focus on China.
- Applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree. Candidates
with advanced degrees will be given preference.
- Applicants must have proven ability to perform independent
research, conduct rigorous analysis, and effectively present
findings and recommendations orally and in writing.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work in an
unstructured environment and on more than one project
- Applicants must have a deep understanding of Defense and
National intelligence. Progressively responsible experience in
three or more of the following intelligence disciplines is
- All source analysis in military, regional or scientific and
- Development of intelligence tools and tradecraft for SIGINT,
GEOINT, MASINT, HUMINT, or OSINT disciplines.
- Collection management for Defense and National systems.
- Intelligence processing, exploitation and dissemination.
- Analysis of intelligence requirements and development of
- Support to joint operations through the joint planning process
including development detailed Functional Support Plans and
National Intelligence Support Plans.
- Planning, programming, budgeting and execution of Military
Intelligence Program or National Intelligence Program
- Travel may be required. (0 - 10%)
- Candidates must have U.S. citizenship and an active TS
clearance with recent SCI Access (within the last six
months/current SSBI). Candidates who do not meet this requirement
will not be considered. About IDA
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) is a private, nonprofit
corporation headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside
Washington, DC. IDA's mission is to answer the most challenging
U.S. security and science policy questions with objective analysis
leveraging extraordinary scientific, technical, and analytic
IDA embraces diversity and supports an inclusive work environment.
Working here requires energy, commitment, flexibility, and
teamwork. Whether you're a graduate student ready to start your
career, a professional looking for your next challenge, or a member
of the military hoping to transition to the private sector while
continuing to make a difference in the national security of your
country, we offer exciting opportunities to learn and grow.
Sponsors rely on IDA for dispassionate, fact-based, and
scientifically rigorous research and advice performed in a research
environment free of commercial or shareholder interests where
objectivity and the public interest are foremost.
The work produced by IDA is characterized by unquestioned
objectivity and high quality. Because of our unique relationship
with our U.S. Government sponsors, IDA enjoys unusual access to
classified government information and sensitive corporate
Why work at IDA?
- Competitive salary and benefits, including diverse health
insurance options, generous 11% contribution to retirement, 6 weeks
100% paid parental leave, 20 days paid time off, and relocation
- Mission-oriented work at a non-profit that supports and
protects our Nation's warfighters; as a non-profit, IDA employees
are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSFL).
- Organization-wide commitment to diversity in the workplace and
providing a working environment free from discrimination, by
fostering a culture of active citizenship and implementing
data-driven processes of continuous feedback and learning.
- Professional development including tuition reimbursement,
internal and external trainings, and funding for researcher-pitched
projects and publications.
- A strong employee and corporate culture of work-life balance,
including commitment to average 40-hour work weeks through flex
time, telework options, and expectation of communication only
during core business hours.
- Located in Alexandria's high-tech corridor, IDA's brand new
Potomac Yard facility is equipped with state-of-the-art technology,
workspaces and amenities, including a cafeteria, grab-n-go cafe and
- Easy access to local dining and shopping, the Potomac Yard
Metro stop (opening Fall 2023), and the Potomac Yard DASH bus stop.
Employer contributes $280/month (IRS max) to commuter
Keywords: Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria , Adjunct Research Analyst - China, Professions , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...