Production Underwriter Standard
Company: ProAssurance Corporation
Posted on: August 6, 2022
An exciting opportunity exists to join the ProAssurance family
We are a specialty writer of professional liability, products
liability and workers' compensation insurance. With approximately
1000 employees operating in all 50 states, we are well positioned
to offer career opportunities to individuals interested in
The primary responsibility of the Production Standard Underwriter
is to use underwriting authority to develop and build external
relationships to write profitable new business and retain existing
policyholders in an assigned territory and/or with assigned
brokers. This underwriter will solicit, examine, accept and reject
insurance risks based on underwriting guidelines in the standard
underwriting segment. This role will follow the underwriting
authority granted them by the Vice President or Assistant Vice
President, Standard Underwriting. This position will classify and
price acceptable accounts to meet underwriting profit goals and
expense objectives; establish and build relationships with brokers
and agents in an assigned territory; and monitor, analyze and
report on the quantity and quality of assigned book of
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* 60% - Underwriting and Underwriting Profitability:
* Underwrite new business submission and renewal accounts. Create
terms and conditions for each applicant based on underwriting
guidelines, filed rates and coverage forms. Work closely with and
collaborate with colleagues in all disciplines including:
Actuarial, Claims, and Risk. Adhere to Letter of Authority without
exception. Will use advanced knowledge of pricing models and be
proficient at working through the actuarial-underwriting nuances.
Pursue new business opportunities while managing existing book of
renewal business. Responsible for significant new business
* 25% - Relationship and Distribution Management:
* Expand new business opportunities in preferred classes of
business through target accounts and brokers in the region. Arrange
and conduct meetings with brokers/agents, and insureds/prospects to
discuss terms and conditions, exposures, claims and related
concerns. Participate in renewal and account stewardship meetings.
Work in collaboration with other teams on cross-sell initiatives.
Promote ProAssurance insurance products.
* 10% - Policy and Procedures, and Compliance:
* Document files and ensure compliance and audit-worthiness.
Participate in committee and department meetings.
* 5% - Innovation and Product Development:
* Keeps educated on evolving risks and exposures. Engages others
about ways to improve the service and/or products that we provide.
Encourages others, at all levels, to offer ideas and take
initiative to vet those ideas.
* Bachelor's degree required with a preference for study in
Insurance, Risk Management, Business Administration or other
business related field.
* Minimum of at least 5 years medical professional liability
experience, preferably in underwriting.
* Previous experience in a production underwriting role
* CPCU, AIC, RPLU, or ARM highly desired. Progress toward
completion of one of these designations is required.
* Understanding of insurance terminology, insurance and
underwriting principles required.
* Previous professional liability experience required.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Self-motivated and able to accomplish multiple tasks within
* Excellent listening, speaking, writing and presentation skills.
Ability to process information logically.
* Strong analytical skills to interpret data and make sound
decisions and present solutions.
* Experience in a production underwriting role, with specific
broker territory and assignments.
* Proven self-starter with strong multi-tasking and relationship
* Strong negotiation, marketing and sales skills.
* Strong large account skills with advanced knowledge of actuarial
tools and methods.
* Able to review the work of others, provide feedback and approve
other underwriters' quotations.
* Meets work deadlines, excellent desk management skills.
* Solid knowledge of rating and documentation management and
* Able to create, build and develop superior relationships with
agencies and internal colleagues.
* Travel up to 40%.
Keywords: ProAssurance Corporation, Alexandria , Production Underwriter Standard, Professions , California, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!