Company: Alexandria City Public Schools
Posted on: November 16, 2023
The Reading Specialist facilitates student success in academic and
interpersonal skills through academic courses of study and by
implementing district approved curriculum, documenting teaching and
student progress/activities/outcomes; addresses specific needs of
students; provides a safe and optimal learning environment; and
provides feedback to students, parents and administration regarding
student progress, expectations, goals, etc. This job reports to the
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education
License or ability to obtain one with an endorsement as a Reading
- Experience: Job-related within specialized field with
increasing levels of responsibility is required.
- Adapts classroom work for the purpose of providing students
with instructional materials that address individualized learning
plans within established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject-specific
assessments, etc. for the purpose of assessing student competency
levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for
the purpose of communicating expectations; student's achievements;
developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom
goals in the home environment.
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations,
and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students,
parents, and administration.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel,
parents, and a variety of community resources for the purpose of
improving the overall quality of student outcomes, achieving
established classroom objectives in support of the school
- Coordinates a variety of activities (e.g. field trips,
transportation, lesson plans, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the
availability of equipment, materials, and personnel to achieve
- Counsels students for the purpose of improving performance,
health status, problem-solving techniques, and a variety of
- Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or
subject-specific assignments for the purpose of providing an
effective program that addresses individual student
- Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional
assistants, volunteers, and/or student workers for the purpose of
providing an effective classroom program and addressing the needs
of individual students. Implements academic, behavior, health, and
nutrition plans (e.g. literacy activities, stories, songs,
math/science activities, art, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring
compliance with regulatory requirements, established guidelines,
and performance standards, and encouraging parent
- Instructs students for the purpose of improving their success
in academic, interpersonal, and daily living skills through a
defined course of study.
- Manages student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe
and optimal learning environment.
- Models conversation, manners, cleanup activities, listening
skills, etc. for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social
and interpersonal behavior.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments
(e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, nap times, etc.) for the
purpose of providing a safe and positive learning
- Organizes age-appropriate indoor and outdoor activities for the
purpose of ensuring student participation in learning
- Participates in a variety of meetings for the purpose of
conveying and/or gathering information required to perform
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades,
attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of documenting
student progress and meeting mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse,
suspected substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining the
personal safety of students, providing a positive learning
environment, and adhering to the Education Code and school
- Responds to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving
immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g. other
teachers, parents, administrators, etc.) for the purpose of
resolving issues, providing information and/or direction.
- Supports classroom teachers for the purpose of assisting them
in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of
ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work
- May perform other additional duties or tasks as designated by
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical
will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Keywords: Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria , Reading Specialist, Other , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!