Company: Alexandria City Public Schools
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The School-based Parent Liaison creates a welcoming school
environment for families; conducts outreach through a variety of
communications to empower parents/guardians to be actively engaged
in their children's education; organizes family involvement
events/activities; manages school-based volunteer opportunities;
and works with the principal and school administration to address
parent/guardian issues and concerns at the school.
The School-based Parent Liaison is supervised and evaluated by the
School Principal/Administration with feedback provided by the
Family and Community Engagement Center (FACE) staff.
Certificates & Licenses: Valid Driver's License
- At least two years of professional experience working with
community-based outreach program, schools and/or non-profits with
increasing levels of responsibility is required.
- Experience working with culturally diverse communities.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with
other team members.
- Understanding and sensitivity for diverse cultural, ethnic and
socio-economic background of students.
- Ability to determine and assess confidential material and
- Excellent time management, customer service skills and people
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening and
- Ability to work in high-pace work environment and use good
- Passionate and committed to the mission of ACPS.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Arabic or Amharic is strongly
Creates a welcoming school environment
- Establishes trusting relationships and serves as a point of
contact for families.
- Assists families in efforts to navigate the school system,
connecting them to appropriate staff/resource.
- Advocates for families, as appropriate.
- Works closely with other school staff to coordinate services
for students and families, including: School Support Team members,
English Learner (EL) and Specialized Instruction staff, teachers
- Provides information on services available to eligible students
and families and encourages participation, as appropriate.
- Provides community referrals to families as needed.
- Works with bilingual parents/guardians and staff to ensure use
of language access systems (i.e., Language Line) and ensures
necessary interpreter services are available at parent-teacher
conferences, school meetings/activities and upon request.
- Ensures signs, bulletin boards and other displays are visible
at school entrance and/or lobby to welcome families and provide
important information in the language's families speak.
- Attends appropriate trainings and meetings.
Conducts outreach to empower parents/guardians to be actively
engaged in their children's education:
- Coordinates communications and outreach materials for families,
including flyer distribution, robo-calls, text messages and
personal outreach to share important school and event information
in the languages they speak.
- Solicits feedback from families on topics including welcoming
environment, parent engagement opportunities and perceived access
- Stays abreast of ACPS and community information, resources and
supports available to families and makes available to all families
- Keeps track of contacts with parents/guardians and provides
updated information as needed.
- Attends parent support meetings and other relevant meetings
within the community.
- Assists in the communication of matters concerning the division
that impact the school community as
Organize family involvement events/activities:
- Organizes FACE-sponsored workshops/events to support family
engagement efforts within the school.
- Facilitates information sessions for parents/guardians (i.e.
Parent Coffees/Principal Chats).
- As appropriate, coordinates Parent Support Groups and/or other
training opportunities for families.
Manages school-based volunteer opportunities:
- Engages in a broad-based needs assessment to establish
priorities for the school volunteer program, works with
principal/admin and other staff to identify specific volunteer
needs and develops volunteer job descriptions.
- Recruits parents/guardians to volunteer, assists with
application process, screens school volunteers and identifies
appropriate placement for volunteer in the school.
- Provides basic orientation for all school-based volunteers and
serves as point of contact.
- Keeps appropriate volunteer records and tracks volunteer
Working with the principal to address parent/guardian issues and
concerns at the school:
- Works with school principal/admin and/or other appropriate
school staff to address and resolve specific parent/guardian
- Assists school administrators in the development or revision of
strategies to facilitate school-family collaboration.
- Works with school's leadership team to develop an appropriate
involvement component of the school's plan.
- Attends appropriate trainings and meetings at school.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure efficient
and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical
will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Keywords: Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria , Parent Liaison, Other , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!