Instructional Assistant II - Multiple Disabilities - General Pool (2023-2024 SY)
Company: Alexandria City Public Schools
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The job of Multiple Disabilities (MD) Instructional Assistant II
was established for the purpose of assisting in the specialized
instruction of students with complex physical, medical and
cognitive needs under the supervision of a licensed teacher in a
special education classroom. The MD Instructional Assistant II
position is responsible for observing and documenting student
progress; implementing plans for instruction and reinforcement of
skills. The MD Instructional Assistant II will be responsible for
observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for
instruction, and implementing behavioral plans as directed by the
- Position requires experience and/or additional training in the
instruction of students with disabilities.
- Ability to work with other professionals in a collaborative
- Formal training or certification in ABA or RBT is highly
- Ability to assist in the lifting or positioning of students
using taught techniques or specialized equipment.
Statement of Specialized Experience:
Specialized experience for this position includes experience
working with learners with disabilities in an educational
environment; implementing academic, behavioral, communication and
social skill practice activities by following protocols
consistently and collecting data based on criteria outlined by the
teacher, related service providers or support staff; altering
instruction to meet the needs of the learner or based upon feedback
from the teacher or support staff; supporting learners with
multiple disabilities across a variety of settings using prompting
and fading techniques to aide in student success.
Education: 48 college credits or an AA degree, or be able to
demonstrate college level skills in spelling, reading, writing and
math by passing a proficiency test.
- Adapt classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under
the direction of the teacher for the purpose of providing an
opportunity for the student to participate in classroom
- Implement intervention strategies and supports (visual aides,
prompting strategies, reinforcement systems, communication tools,
etc.) as directed by the teacher to address student IEP
- Document student progress or behavioral observations using
objective measures and record data as directed by the
- Confer with teachers on a regular basis for the purpose of
assisting in evaluating student progress and/or implementing IEP
- Implement academic instruction taught by a teacher for the
purpose of meeting learning goals, as described by an IEP.
- Implement strategies to maximize practice opportunities for
social and communication skills and functional adaptive skills for
the purpose of short and long term independence as directed by the
- Implement supports for independent living skills designed by
IEP team for students with physical disabilities or other special
conditions for the purpose of assisting in meeting special
education student's needs and providing a consistent
- Maintain instructional materials and/or student files/records
(e.g. adapting instructional materials) for the purpose of ensuring
availability of the appropriate instructional supplies.
- Assist other personnel as may be required for the purpose of
supporting them in the completion of their work
- Assist students for the purpose of helping students with
breakfast, lunch, snack, clean-up, lavatory, positioning, clothing,
personal hygiene and wash-up.
- Accept feedback from teachers and related service providers to
ensure accurate and consistent implementation of educational
techniques or strategies.
- Communicate and collaborate to foster a positive learning
- Effectively communicate with adults and students.
- Attend meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of
acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical
will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Keywords: Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria , Instructional Assistant II - Multiple Disabilities - General Pool (2023-2024 SY), Other , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!