Senior Geospatial Software Engineer
Company: Element 84
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Element 84 is here to help accelerate and scale projects that
have a positive impact on people and the planet. We solve
challenging problems across a wide range of industries, but our
super power is cloud-based geospatial data processing, remote
sensing, and Earth science systems. We were founded by
husband-and-wife engineers in 2010 and have grown into a skilled
group of practitioners building high-performance systems for the
biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main
office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote
workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to California. A
Few Other Things You Should Know
- Element 84's values are: We Invest in Each Other, We are
Reliable, and Our Work Benefits our World.
- Element 84 works on meaningful projects that are
challenging-from a technical, people, and team perspective. We make
an impact on large projects through our leadership and expertise,
both formal and informal.
- Element 84 pays well but we care more about working on projects
- Element 84 values life outside of work. We offer parental leave
for everyone and support each other through family challenges like
medical problems, adoptions, and new babies.
- Element 84 has had a flexible work schedule since our founding
- Element 84 has made a commitment to diversity. We expect the
entire team to share that same commitment.-- About You You are
curious about the world, are constantly learning, driven to lead
(formally or informally), and have a strong work ethic. You're
interested in solving impactful problems in science, medicine, and
other projects that have a societal good. You can work
independently or with a team, prioritize your projects, and be
effective without micromanagement. Job Description About the Job
Element 84 is hiring--a Geospatial Software Engineer to join our
team in building software that uses the latest cloud-based
capabilities and technologies--for meaningful projects in the
public and private sector. You'll join a small team of
multidisciplinary designers and front-end engineers working to
solve challenging problems in geospatial, healthcare, disaster
response, and transportation. We're a small company with big roles,
and you'll be able to make an impact on day one. You'll care about
writing. Our team is remote and written communication is essential.
In addition to caring about a well-crafted email and a succinct
conference abstract, you understand that good writing is good
design and engineering. Please submit your information, resume and
cover letter if you are interested in this permanent position in
the Washington, DC metro area. Remote candidates welcome.
Qualifications Here are the guidelines we're looking at to gauge
experience and skillset: Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, GIS
Systems, or other related scientific or technical discipline (or
- Knowledge and understanding of Cloud computing.--
- Knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems
(GIS) technologies and software packages and tools.
- Proficiency working in a UNIX/Linux command-line environment
and shell scripting
- Experience with reading, subsetting, interpreting, and
utilizing geospatially referenced and structured data for research
- Familiarity with the git source code management system
- Computational geometry knowledge.
- Prior scientific programming experience.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Strong motivation for complex challenges and learning new
- Willingness to support fully operational systems (with a team,
of course!) and travel to support project meetings and
- Be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship. Preferred
- Familiarity and experience in metadata standards (e.g.
ISO19115, STAC, NASA UMM, etc.) and conventions (Climate and
- AWS, GCP or Azure experience and--certifications
- Authorship or co-authorship on scientific or technical--posters
or papers within the domain of remote sensing data
- Experience with development and delivery of software
documentation, such as requirements documents, test plans, and
design description documents This position may be--governed by a
federal contract which--requires the applicant--to be a U.S. Person
who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Element 84 is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas at this
time. Additional Information Paying attention to who we are as a
company-people, family members, friends, and colleagues-is our
primary focus at Element 84. There are lots of ways to run a
company and for us, it's wanting to come to work, being around
people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and
sharing our achievements as a team.
- You'll get credit when things go right and we'll have your back
when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us.
There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company health
benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long
term and happiness comes from much more than where you work.--
- We have an extraordinary retention rate because we hire
extraordinary people. We hope that's you. Element 84 is an equal
opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity.
We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought,
perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger.
Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national
origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected
Keywords: Element 84, Alexandria , Senior Geospatial Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!