Pharmacy Technician Bedside Delivery
Company: MedStar Pharmacies
Posted on: November 17, 2019
Job SummaryMedStar Pharmacy is committed to providing world-class,
compassionate care to every patient, every time, at every touch
point. All associates are accountable for their role in meeting
patient experience standards. Responsible for all pharmacy tasks
relating to bedside delivery program, including: facilitating
patient participation; acting as pharmacy liaison between patients
and physicians, social workers, nurses, and inpatient/outpatient
pharmacy staff; preparing prescriptions; and coordinating payment
and deliveries.Minimum QualificationsEducation/Training
- High school graduation or equivalent; Associates degree in
related field preferred.Experience
- 3 years retail or ambulatory care pharmacy experience. Customer
service experience strongly preferred. Sales experience
- PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) certification or
the ExCPT (Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians).
Pharmacy technician licensure or registration as required by the
state where the pharmacy is located.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent
computer and mathematical skills, customer service skills, and
problem-solving skills.?Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures,
quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental
and accreditation regulations.
- Acts as support staff in the pharmacy when needed or when
assigned or requested by management.
- Communicates with patient regarding prescription cost/co-pays
and their ability to pay. Collects payment for prescriptions;
processes cash, check, credit card transactions; secures
appropriate signatures; and, ensures compliance with HIPAA
- Delivers prescriptions to patient's room and shows medications
to patient; offers and facilitates counseling by a pharmacist if
requested; hands prescriptions to patient's nurse in secure bag for
storage on the floor until patient is discharged.
- Identifies discharge patients, explains the benefits of the
bedside delivery program, and encourages and facilitates
participation. Works to eliminate any potential barriers to patient
participation in bedside delivery program. Obtains insurance
information and patient demographics.
- Organizes bedside delivery prescriptions in designated area of
the pharmacy in order of priority: retrieves labels from printer
and arranges paperwork for filing.
- Performs data entry of new prescriptions in pharmacy system,
including demographics, insurance plans, and prescription
information according to policy. Brings to the attention of a
pharmacist any claims requiring overrides. Troubleshoots insurance
claim rejects and follows up on problem prescriptions.
- Works directly with Social Workers, Nurses, Physicians and
other Pharmacy staff to troubleshoot any issues requiring
intervention including prior authorizations, clarifications,
re-writes, and referrals to social work.
- Works with all members of a patient's healthcare team to secure
prescriptions in advance of discharge, ensuring that prescriptions
are either brought or sent to the pharmacy for filling.
- Attends daily/weekly/monthly meetings with interdisciplinary
teams to grow the program through promotional events, education,
and relationship building.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the
department and hospital in community outreach efforts. Participates
in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.About
MedStar HealthMedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest
quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C.,
region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education,
innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated
physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system,
including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations,
the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly
respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the
medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for
more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the
next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education
and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health
offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal
Keywords: MedStar Pharmacies, Alexandria , Pharmacy Technician Bedside Delivery, Healthcare , Washington, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!