IHSC Registered Nurse
Company: Stg International, Inc.
Posted on: February 25, 2021
STG International is seeking candidates for the Registered Nurse
position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in
custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration
and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility. INTRODUCTION:
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the
organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security
(DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil
service staff and contractors--comprise the healthcare
professionals working together to provide quality healthcare
services.--IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee
health care. MISSION:
IHSC's mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of
individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on
correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The
Agency is committed to
providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health,
reduce global disease and provide
medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe
apprehension, enforcement and
removal of detained individuals involved in immigration
proceedings. IHSC is committed to
ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and
accountable through rigorous
surveillance and monitoring activities. ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Degree
issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity
recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Graduate from an associate's or baccalaureate nursing program
for Registered Nurses located
- in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory
accredited by The Accreditation
- Commission For Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on
- Education (CCNE).
- Minimum one year of professional experience as a licensed
registered nurse in a hospital, medical office or residential
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential
healthcare setting (preferred, not required). REQUIRED--LICENSURE /
- Current, full and unrestricted licensed as Registered Nurse in
the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to
license must be reported to employer immediately.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers-- certification through
the American Heart REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in
simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services
to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility
in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and
written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients,
co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working
relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including
electronic health records, web based training and
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft
Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the
confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well
as Personally Identifiable Information (PII). MAJOR DUTIES AND
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of
Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted
practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as
appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to
medical emergencies. .Must appropriately document patient/resident
encounters electronically according to current standards of care
using electronic health records.
- Provides supervision of Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses,
- Evaluates health care needs of residents and develops nursing
care plans to meet those needs.
- Provides assessment and treatment of residents during sick call
utilizing the IHSC RN Guidelines and refers to mid-level provider
and/or physician as appropriate.
- Provides screening of residents during intake per IHSC
established policies and procedures.
- Obtains residents' medical histories and appropriately refers
abnormal findings or responses or stated medical problems to the
physician and/ or mid-level provider.
- Draws labs as requested and collects laboratory specimens.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all sharps to include but not
limited to needles and syringes according to hazardous waste,
infection control and safety guidance.
- Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a
regular basis as needed.
- Administers medications, immunizations, education or other
needed treatments as ordered/recommended.
- Adheres to professional nursing principals, procedures and
techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from
onsite administrative personnel.
- Adheres to medication administration guidelines, understand
pharmaceutical agents and their desired effects recognize adverse
effects and take appropriate corrective measures as needed.
- Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually
cognizant of the potential hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking
- Provide patient/resident health education as appropriate
- Coordinates health care needs of residents with
multidisciplinary team members and coordinates referrals to
off-site providers as required.
- Participates as member of multidisciplinary team to ensure that
equipment, supplies and logs are available, correct and updated.
Ensures all equipment is functional and appropriately maintained
according to manufacturer's requirements.
- Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of
practice for practice state and IHSC Policies and Procedures. These
services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance
i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
- May serve as clinic coordinator to ensure effective and
efficient clinical operations.
- May participate in peer reviews, Quality Improvement/Quality
Assurance activities, Infection
- Control activities, investigations or other clinically
significant activities onsite.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program
policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing
electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to,
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies
testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of
medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA
regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies,
Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation
standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC's Safety, Prevention,
Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and
other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff
- Other duties as assigned. DUTY HOURS/ ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond
during an emergency activation.
- This full time position requires availability to work day,
evening and night shifts; availability during weekends and holidays
is also required.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security's Personnel Security Unit
(PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness
Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by
PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background
investigations to meet the requirements of this position. PHYSICAL
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes
and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes,
where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging
detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may
require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs
significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of
aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere
environment without physical limitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors)
for long periods of time. STG International, Inc (STGi) is a
workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare
delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human
capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help
our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better
accomplish their mission.
STGi offers a--competitive benefits package which includes Medical,
Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO
Keywords: Stg International, Inc., Alexandria , IHSC Registered Nurse, Healthcare , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!