Director, Public Policy
Company: Columbia Association, Inc.
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Thursday, December 29, 2022 At SHRM, we are committed to making
work, workers and workplaces better through insights-driven policy
solutions, learning and development, thought leadership and
research. We are shaping the ways employers and employees thrive
together. SHRM is empowering our more than 300,000+ members,
including HR professionals, business executives, and people
managers, to lead as strategic business partners and effective
stewards of workplace culture, business productivity, and employee
engagement. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, Head of Public Affairs
and Corporate Secretary,the Director, Public Policy directs the
comprehensive strategy and initiatives to achieve SHRM's public
policy objectives at the federal and state level. The position
directs and supervises staff resources to develop and represent the
views of SHRM and its members. The position also manages strategic
partnerships that leverage SHRM's policy positions, research
content and subject matter expertise, as well as educational events
- Develops and directs the comprehensive strategy and initiatives
to achieve SHRM's public policy objectives at the federal and state
- Directs financial and staff resources to meet the goals and
objectives of SHRM in the targeted areas of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with strategic
partners, SHRM members, and other stakeholders in order to advance
SHRM's overall public policy objectives.
- Directs and oversees activities and events to ensure SHRM is
the recognized leader on HR public policy issues among interested
- May serve as a spokesperson for the Society to the media on
public policy issues.
- Conducts presentations and training sessions on HR public
policy issues at national, state and chapter conferences and
meetings as well as to outside stakeholder groups on behalf of
- Creates materials, programming, articles and information to
educate SHRM members, and volunteer leaders on HR public policy
- Serves, as appropriate, in leadership and other capacities in
coalitions with other associations and organizations on HR public
policy issues. Position Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in political science or related field.
- 10 years' experience in Policy, regulatory or government
- Demonstrated success in implementing an organization's policy
strategies that yield productive results is required. Prior
experience with an association strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success as an external affairs executive with the
ability to develop and manage strategic partnerships.
- Strong leadership experience with policy coalitions and
building efficient and results-oriented teams. Prior experience in
developing budgets also required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal
skills, including experience in giving public presentations or
- Creative approaches to problem solving are required. Ability to
simultaneously coordinate a variety of complex projects and work
within activity program deadlines is needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and
- Knowledge of Social Media platforms.
- Solid customer service commitment: resourceful, diplomatic,
team-oriented and sensitive to the needs of members and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment, while
successfully delivering to internal and external customers at all
levels in a timely manner.
- Superior written and oral communicator who can convey complex
policy research in simple terms to management.
- Ability to prepare persuasive, simple documents and
presentations for use by other internal and external
- Ability to manage consultant relationships Preferred
- Advanced degree or JD
- Prior experience working for an association or on Capitol Hill,
state legislature or governors' staff..
- Some staff management experience
- Experience working with human resource issues and laws and
workforce-related issues. Physical Requirements
- Must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily with
- Work is generally done sitting, talking, hearing and typing.
Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and
figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive
reading. Work Environment
- Work is regularly performed in a professional office
environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
- Travel Required: Moderate 20-30%
Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that
prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis
of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or
mental disability, genetic information, veteran's status, marital
status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any
other status protected by applicable law. SHRM is an equal
opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran). We do not
sponsor applicants for work visas.
Keywords: Columbia Association, Inc., Alexandria , Director, Public Policy, Executive , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!