Reliability and Quality Director
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Position at Heliogen The Company:Heliogen is a clean energy
company focused on eliminating the need for fossil fuels in all
sectors of the economy. Heliogen's mission is to create the world's
first technology that can commercially replace fossil fuels in
industrial processes with carbon-free, ultra-high temperature heat
from the sun and to transform sunlight into fuels, including
hydrogen, at scale. Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading
Position Purpose:The Reliability and Quality Director (indicated by
RQD below) will ensure that the Heliogen heliostat systems meet the
requirements and expectations for both our customers and our
internal stakeholders. As Heliogen develops new heliostat systems,
equipment, and products related to heliostats or the cleaning,
installation, and maintenance of heliostats the RQD will ensure
that the product testing, manufacturing systems, production
documentation, and other related tools/ processes are in place to
ensure lifetime product quality and reliability. The RQD would have
the Heliogen Southern California manufacturing site as their normal
base of operations and work location. The RQD will interface with
suppliers, various external contractors, and Heliogen personnel as
needed to meet the goals above. A regular presence of additional
Heliogen personnel based at the Pasadena corporate offices will be
expected at the manufacturing site.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- Reliability Test Support - Interface with the design engineers,
internal test site personnel, and outside test facilities to help
design and execute on-sun testing, extended field testing,
environmental testing, accelerated life testing, and other testing
protocols to validate the design and ongoing manufacturing of the
- Failure Analysis and Troubleshooting - Facilitate and assist in
the analysis of field failures, in process production failures, as
well as assessments of development test parts and qualification
test parts (whether failed or even operating normally) to better
improve the product and understand the wear and failure mechanisms
- Supplier Quality - Use of PPAP and APQP (or similar methods) to
develop and maintain supplier quality through clear understanding
of requirements and appropriate controls to manage and maintain
supplier processes and outgoing part quality.--
- Control Plan - Create and manage the control plan for the
heliostat production processes in general.
- Continuous Improvement - Empower and foster a culture of
continuous improvement. This will include improvements in both
manufacturing and design.
- Design Analysis with FMEA - Use DFMEA/ PFMEA (or similar tools)
to continuously evaluate potential product risks and reduce those
risks through design and process improvements.
- Lean Manufacturing - Empower and foster a culture of lean
manufacturing. This will include input to the design engineers to
best use resources (materials, as well as transformation processes
with either labor, automation, and/ or other capital
- Work Instruction Oversight - Provide input and final approvals
to process work instructions to best optimize operator actions and
related plant/ field installation controls.The activities above
will often include plant workers, site adjacent workers (who do
some assembly process near a site), and site field workers (who are
involved in the installation of heliostats at a site). The actual
installation site locations will be at Heliogen and customer
locations around the world.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Engineering with minimum of 10 years work
experience that includes hands-on experience in a high-volume
manufacturing environment. 5 years minimum in a quality or
reliability leadership role.
- Extensive experience in implementation and use of SPC in a
high-volume production environment.
- Extensive experience in implementing continuous improvement in
a high-volume production environment.
- Extensive experience with lean manufacturing in a high-volume
- Extensive familiarity with APQP and PPAP (or similar) processes
to manage and ensure vendor quality.
- Experience managing/ supervising quality technicians and
engineers. A minimum of 5 years is preferred.
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed is
- Position requires occasional physical activities including
climbing ladders, working on elevated towers and platforms,
stooping to work on equipment installed in small/ limited spaces,
and lifting and carrying loads of 40 lbs. or more.
- Excellent organizational ability, including ability to manage
deliverables and timeline for execution to achieve project
- Self-motivated hands-on individual who will work diligently to
make Heliogen and the heliostat production efforts the best they
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent with MS Word, Excel, and similar applications.
- Experience with product development projects around entirely
new products and/ or products where the company has no previous
manufacturing experience with the product are being developed is
- Startup company experience is highly desirable.
- Experience in vendor/ supplier identification and qualification
is highly desirable. This would include component suppliers,
equipment suppliers, and possibly even construction
- Practical knowledge of various production processes like
stamping, injection molding, break forming, robotic welding,
casting, etc. is highly desirable.
- Practical knowledge of basic fabrication and assembly skills
including operation of basic hand tools, drill presses, grinders,
band saws, and similar equipment is beneficial.
Heliogen, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. You have been
redirected to a Idealab job page
Keywords: Idealab, Alexandria , Reliability and Quality Director, Executive , California, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!