ACPS Pedestrian and Bike Education Support Specialist
Company: Alexandria City Public Schools
Posted on: January 27, 2023
- Candidates with a bachelor's degree from an accredited
institution of higher education
- Candidates with experience and/or training in developing,
leading, implementing, and evaluating school-age programs and/or
curriculum for K-12 students of diverse backgrounds
- Candidates with equivalent experience and/or training that
ensure the ability to perform the essential job functions will be
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Working knowledge of experience of either a Safe Routes to
School program (e.g. served as a school Safe Routes to School
Champion, organized or promoted a walk/bike to school event, etc.)
or mobility education (pedestrian and bicycling)
- Experience teaching bicycle and pedestrian safety or knowledge
of the benefits of walking, biking, and/or increased physical
activity for children
- Experience working with likely stakeholders such as local law
enforcement, local county/city/town government, PTAs, and community
- Experience coordinating events
- Communications experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the benefits of encouraging walking and biking
among school-aged children
- Skill in public outreach and marketing
- Skill in communication and management
- Experience working with students, families, and staff from
various cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Skill in problem-solving to select, organize and logically
process relevant information (verbal, numerical or abstract) to
solve a problem.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English.
- Skill in written communication to understand written
information (including instructions, descriptions, and ideas), and
to express such information in writing so that others will
understand and, at times, be convinced or persuaded.
- Skill in oral communication to understand verbal information
(including instructions, descriptions, and ideas), and to express
such information verbally so that others will understand and, at
times, be convinced or persuaded.
- Interpersonal skills to interact with contacts in a customer
service-oriented manner by establishing and maintaining effective
relationships and working in harmony with supervisors, staff,
students, and other organizations.
- Skill in using a computer and office suite software (Word,
- Ability and willingness to work a variable schedule.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist ACPS' Health and Physical Education Instructional
Specialist and ACPS PE teachers with the implementation of
pedestrian and biking education programs in elementary and
secondary school through physical education
- Attending monthly Safe Routes to School calls with
- Assist with the implementation of ACPS activities, such as
- Equitable delivery of pedestrian and bicycle education by
Physical Education teachers at all schools; recommend improvements,
if warranted, based on observations at each school; coordinate
volunteers and bicycle maintenance; assist teachers with
- Work with PTAs and community partners to encourage walking and
biking to school, such as Walk and Bike to School days/events, Bike
Rodeos, and Crossing Guard Appreciation Day.
- Collaborative with ACPS Office of Safety and Security Services,
the city's Transportation and Environmental Services department
(e.g. Complete Streets and Vision Zero), Alexandria Police
Department, and local non-profits (Alexandria Families for Safe
Streets and Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee)
to support safe walking and biking to school.
- Sustainability efforts, including the following:
- Work with ACPS' Health and Physical Education Instructional
Specialist and community partners to ensure the pedestrian and
bicycling education programs are delivered to students in an
effective, equitable manner.
- Support PE teachers in unit/lesson reflections, modifications,
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical
will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Keywords: Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria , ACPS Pedestrian and Bike Education Support Specialist, Education / Teaching , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!