English Learner (EL) English Teacher (For Immediate Hire)
Company: Alexandria City Public Schools
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The job of ELL Teacher develops bilingual students' ability to
effectively perform courses of study in the English language by
implementing district approved curriculum; documents teaching and
student progress/activities/outcomes; provides methods to support
and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home; provides a safe and
optimal learning environment; develops appropriate lesson plans and
instructional techniques; evaluates students level of English
fluency and providing feedback to students, parents, and
administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals,
etc. This job reports to the Principal.
**Learn more about the English Language Learners Program.
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education
license with an endorsement in ELL/ESL, or eligibility to obtain
one. Math dual certification preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Adapts classroom work to provide students with instructional
materials that address individualized learning plans within
established lesson plans.
- Administers developmental testing programs, subject specific
assessments, etc. to assess student competency levels and/or
develop individual learning plans.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress to
communicate expectations and student's achievements; develop
methods for improvement and/or reinforce classroom goals in the
- Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations,
and/or goals to provide feedback to students, parents and
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel,
parents and a variety of community resources to improve the overall
quality of student outcomes and achieve established classroom
objectives in support of the school improvement plan.
- Counsels students to improve performance, health status,
problem solving techniques and a variety of personal
- Demonstrates methods required to perform classroom and/or
subject specific assignments to provide an effective program that
addresses individual student requirements.
- Directs assistant teachers, student teachers, instructional
assistants, volunteers and/or student workers to provide an
effective classroom program and address the needs of individual
- Instructs students to improve their success in academic,
interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of
- Manages student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning
- Monitors students in a variety of educational environments
(e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, nap times, etc.) to
provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather
information required to perform functions.
- Prepares a variety of written materials (e.g. grades,
attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) to document student progress
and meet mandated requirements.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse,
suspected substance abuse, etc.) to maintain personal safety of
students, provide a positive learning environment and adhere to
Education Code and school policies.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the
efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical
will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Keywords: Alexandria City Public Schools, Alexandria , English Learner (EL) English Teacher (For Immediate Hire), Education / Teaching , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!