Chief Financial Officer
Company: United Way of America
Posted on: August 6, 2022
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for United Way Worldwide (UWW)
will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning,
implementing, managing, and controlling all finance-related
activities of the organization. They will report to the President &
Chief Executive Officer and participate as a key member of the
Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The CFO will directly influence
and participate in the day-to-day operations, budgets, and
long-range planning for UWW. The CFO will also have overall
responsibility for accounting, internal financial reporting,
financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and analysis, tax and
treasury and external audits. This role provides strategic
leadership regarding the organization's business model and aligning
financial resources to support short- and long-term strategic
goals. Additionally, the CFO has the responsibility for developing
and aligning strategic priorities, resources, and management of the
organization's infrastructure services with the organization's
overall strategic framework.
NOTE: This position is based out of our Office in Alexandria,
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed
below at a satisfactory level:
* Work with ELT to establish major economic/financial objectives
and policies for the organization.
* Provide leadership and expertise developing and executing
strategies that enhance the organization's financial stability and
growth. Regularly provide insight and analysis to the President &
Chief Executive Officer, the ELT, and managers and teams across the
organization to achieve and exceed short- and long -term financial
* Ensure that all financial functions, controls, and reporting are
accurate, compliant, and provide the information and analysis
needed for governance and senior management to make timely and
effective strategic, planning, and operational decisions. Ensure
timely and clean financial audits.
* Deliver concise, accurate insightful and impactful annual
financial reports, including quarterly verbal and written analyses,
insights, and reports for the organization's governance
* Develop, analyze, and interpret statistical and accounting
information in order to assess operating results in terms of
performance against budget, cash flow projections, and other
matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness
* Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial
forecasts, institute and maintain other planning and control
procedures, as well as analysis and reports variances.
* Furnish accurate and timely financial reports to the ELT and
Board of Directors. Develop relationships and work with the Chair
and committee members for the Audit Committee, Finance Committee,
and Investment and Pension subcommittees. Develop relationships and
respond to requests on an as-needed basis for other committees and
* Guide the Financial Issues Committee (FIC).
* Provide information used in the preparation of all grant
applications and fundraising activities. Meet with potential
donors/funders on an as-needed basis to discuss the financial
stability of the organization.
* Prepare for and coordinate annual independent audit(s).
* Key contributor to the implementation of UWW's strategy through
oversight of critical projects and initiatives.
* Review financial data to analyze revenue trends and expenses,
make projections, and provide strategic financial input and
leadership on decision-making issues and report those findings to
the President & Chief Executive Officer and the ELT on a monthly
* Oversee an industry appropriate system of internal controls
including evaluating and implementing financial policies,
procedures, and standards.
* Participate in the evaluation and implementation of multiple
accounting systems and ancillary systems to remain current with
market changes and trends.
* Select qualified staff and retain them through development and
leadership that supports their success in the Group and
* Assist in all aspects of administration and other tasks as
directed by the President & Chief Executive Officer. Work jointly
with other members of the ELT and Board of Directors to meet goals
of the organization's strategic plan.
* Provide guidance as needed to the organizational team that
develops pro forma financial forecasts in response to RFPs for both
new and existing programs.
* Oversee all pricing for new proposed programs and assists in the
negotiation of terms and conditions for contract renewals of
* Negotiate all banking activities and develop relationships within
* Manage organizational cash flow which includes funding programs
on as-needed basis.
* Lead the Risk Management function.
* Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
* Bachelor's degree in Business/Accounting preferred.
* CPA certification preferred.
* Ten or more years of financial management experience in
non-profit and/or for-profit sectors.
* Experience in a complex organization relative to size, scope from
a financial and operational perspective.
* Extensive finance and cash flow management/analysis.
* Experience presenting to and providing critical financial
information to executive teams and Boards of Directors.
* Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with
external partners and stakeholders.
* Support and agree with the mission and values of United Way.
* Proven history of working in a collaborative, motivational, and
supportive manner. Considered a Visionary leader by staff and
* Outstanding interpersonal, coaching, and listening skills with
the ability to communicate positively within all levels of the
* Proven ability to remain objective, discrete, and exercise common
sense at all times.
* Able to develop strong, trusting relationships within the Group
* Thrive in a dynamic environment and able to work on various
projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time
* Experience in an international organization preferred.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work
performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be
construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties,
responsibilities, and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions
of the job.
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who
want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about
your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education,
income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate
qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and
other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with
applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for
any part of the employment process, please e-mail
Lee.hunter@UWW.Unitedway.org or call (571) 360-6341 and provide the
nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and
encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service
alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We
offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health,
dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee
assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off,
family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption
leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly
volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE'S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and
experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the
health, education, and financial stability of every person in every
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer,
advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at
the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every
person in every community.
Keywords: United Way of America, Alexandria , Chief Financial Officer, Accounting, Auditing , Alexandria, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!